At Wildwood Trust we thrive through generous volunteers donating their time and talents. Our volunteers and work placement students assist with many varied activities across the site. By joining us you can become part of the team, learn new skills, meet new people and support us in protecting, conserving and rewilding British wildlife.
All applicants for volunteering or work experience placements must be over 18 years of age. These opportunities receive a high volume of interest and as a result, places are extremely limited.
We are looking for:
- Enthusiastic and friendly people
- Happy to be outside in all weather conditions
- Reliable with regular attendance
- Good level of physical fitness – you will be on your feet the majority of the day and some tasks will require stamina
- We’re not looking for experts, just a passion for wildlife and conservation
- Over 18 years of age
Volunteers can help out in the following areas:
Our events team are looking for enthusiastic and outgoing volunteers to help us during our busy holidays and weekends. Our events volunteers run drop in events including craft sessions, face painting, artefacts touch tables, zoo enrichment activities and more. Volunteers need to be confident to talk to visitors from all different ages and backgrounds in a kind and professional manner.
- Set up and run drop in events during the holidays and weekends
- Inspire our visitors about British wildlife and our conservation efforts
- Engage and interact with visitors throughout the day
- Work as part of a team to provide support where needed
We are looking for friendly, confident and enthusiastic people with good communication skills, as our volunteers and work experience students need to be able to engage and inspire a wide variety of people from different backgrounds and of all ages. Education volunteers and work experience placements assist our education team to give our visitors the chance to discover and learn about our wonderful British wildlife.
- Assist with workshops, tours and animal talks
- Prepare educational resources
- Rove in the park with artefacts
- Assist visitors at enclosures to spot animals and answer questions
Our keeper team welcomes volunteers and work experience placements throughout the year to help look after our animals across the park. We ensure the responsibility of training and supporting volunteers and work placements in all aspects of animal husbandry. Please note, we receive a high volume of applications and as a result places are extremely limited.
- Prepare & deliver animal feeds (including raw meat)
- Clear out animal waste
- Maintain enclosures
- Prepare & deliver animal enrichment
- General maintenance of the park and keepers' yard
Wildwood is set in 40 acres of woodland, we need volunteers and work experience placements to help keep the park in top condition. Volunteers help us to maintain the woodland, our animal enclosures and keep our facilities in good working order.
- Aid in maintenance of park facilities
- Help keep the park clean and tidy
- Painting and weeding across the woodland
- Assistance in animal enclosure construction and maintenance
- Work as part of the team to provide support where needed
Our conservation team needs assistance in looking after our water vole captive breeding programme, as well as helping out with the care of other small mammals. We ensure the responsibility of training and supporting volunteers and work placements in all aspects of animal husbandry. Please note, we receive a high volume of applications and as a result places are extremely limited.
- Assist with the care of our water vole captive breeding programme
- Help with the husbandry of other small mammals (mice, bats, shrews etc)
- General housekeeping and enclosure maintenance
- Supporting the conservation team
Wildwood is actively working to promote public awareness of the plight of our bees and to inspire people to help them thrive. We are looking to recruit enthusiastic individuals with experience or keen interest in beekeeping to volunteer during the busy bee season April – August. Please note the role is weather permitting.
- Assist with bee husbandry
- Help ensure pollination and honey product prospects are maximised
- Collect and process honey
- Carry out the seasonal maintenance and construction of hives
- Work as part of the team and provide supervision and support Head Beekeeper
- Assist in minimising insect pests and diseases
Group Volunteer Days at Wildwood
Wildwood is committed to improving conditions for wildlife throughout the UK and we need your help. We offer a volunteering day with an emphasis on team work as well as an amazing wildlife adventure. You will be able to see the benefits that your team work has made around the park and spend time with your group in a beautiful woodland setting. Come and volunteer for a valuable experience you and your team will never forget! Group numbers can be up to a max of 10 people and are open to all levels of fitness and strengths.
Important: All applicants for volunteering must be over 18 years of age. Please be aware that these days are limited and we may not be able to guarantee the type of tasks as they depend on the seasonal needs, size of group, staff availability and work priorities at the time.
Activities could include:-
- Vegetation clearance
- Planting native trees & plants
- Ditch clearance
- Enclosure maintenance & restoration
- General woodland maintenance
Volunteer day includes:-
- All day park admission
- Free teas/coffees from our café throughout the day
- Morning and/or afternoon volunteering tasks to complete around the park
- All equipment needed to complete tasks on the day
“Thank you for having us. Everyone said it was the best day volunteering they had ever done. They have all asked to come back next year.”
Harry Fairfield, CBCI, Manager – Business Continuity Management, Lloyds Banking Group
“The whole team thoroughly enjoyed their day at Wildwood, we somehow managed to clear the Polecat enclosure which was a lot harder than we first realised it was going to be but it was such a fun, enjoyable and satisfying job to do.”
Jessica, Claims Validation Case Handler at Direct Line
“Many thanks for a great day last week Laura. The staff were fantastic, we really enjoyed it.”
Lauren, Complaints Advisor for Specialist Children’s Services, Kent County Council
Wildwood does not charge for Group Volunteer Days, however donations towards our charity are always welcome!
To register an interest for a group volunteering experience please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01227 712111